By Allix Mortis, Rogue Burlesque
I’m one of those ladies who walks softly and carries a huge purse. In burlesque, I’ve found that there’s really no such thing as being too prepared, so like a good Girl Scout*, I always keep the following essentials in my show bag:
- Scissors - Someone ALWAYS needs a set.
- Toupee tape and/or spirit gum - Just in case anyone forgets or has a “wardrobe malfunction.”
- Black permanent marker - I always have this and someone comes running in looking for a marker at least once a show. You may need to write a note, you may need to make a sign (you will likely need to make a sign). If you’re doing a horror-y number and you forget makeup you can add some good gorey looking stitches to yourself. You can also touch up little rips, stains, etc… on black fabric.
- Colored electrical tape - You can use it to mark the stage, or in a pinch if you forget pasties.
- Extra, clean, thongs in nude and black - You can find these at Target for cheap - and seriously, someone will forget their underwear. The stash of clean undies in my bag is proof positive that despite my best efforts I have in fact turned into my mother.
- Quick-dry nail polish - Fix your nails or cover up a stain on a costume. A 90-second fix.
- Makeup remover wipes - I bring Ponds for my full face, as well as a small container of Almay eye remover to touch up any hiccups.
- Barber mirror - These cost ~$3 at the drug store and are great in a pinch if you get a gig somewhere that doesn’t have a proper dressing room.
- Tweezers - Great for eyeglass repairs, last-minute hair removal, or pulling the backs off of double-sided toupee or pastie tape.
- Clips - I wear these to keep my hair in check but have also used them to clip fabric to a costume for a quick repair.
These all take up minimal room and have saved many a last minute headache.
* I was never a Girl Scout. I couldn’t even get through a full year of Brownies.